1. Who did I have an accident with? Be sure to get complete information from the other party(ies) involved. This means copying down their address, driver’s license #, date of birth, and ask for their phone number. In addition, obtain their insurance information including, the company, policy #, agent if there is one, the policy begin and expiration date and their phone #.
You need to make sure that you have as much info as possible to give your insurance company; this will help get your claim resolved as fast as possible. Scurich is there when life happens, you can find information on the 24/7.
2. Were there any witnesses? Was there anyone who saw the accident happen? You want to make sure that you get information from anyone who saw the accident. This will assist the insurance companies to determine who is liable for the accident.
3. Were the police called? If the police called or showed up, make sure to get the name and badge # of the officer and a report number. It may take your insurance company up to 3 months to get a police report, so be sure you take the information but don’t rely on the insurance company getting the information.
4. What kind of vehicle or vehicles were involved in this accident? You want to make sure that you get the vehicle year, make and model, the license plate #, and VIN number for each vehicle involved. Scurich knows that when an accident happens its hard to think straight. Just stay calm and try and remember everything you need to make a complete claim.
5. Where did this happen? Get the intersection or street that the accident happened on. Also, you want to make sure that you know how many lanes are on each side of the street, if the street or streets are 1 way or 2 way, the type of striping on the pavement within 100 feet each direction of the loss, i.e. is it a solid, double yellow line, a white line, etc. Also, you want to know where each vehicle impacted, what lane you and the other car were driving in just before the accident, the direction of travel for each vehicle, and if there were any signs posted that control traffic flow.
Scurich wants to be there for you every step of your life. Check us out on your favorite social network!
Scurich Insurance Services
320 E Lake Ave.
Watsonville, Ca 95076