Those of us who live in California know well that we are in an earthquake zone. Earthquakes are an exclusion of most standard homeowners insurance policies.
What can we do to protect our valuables in case one happens in our area? Here are a few suggestions that will help protect our home and its contents:
- Use brackets to secure wall units, bookcases and other tall furniture to studs in the walls.
- Install shatter-safe window films in order to help prevent breaking glass.
- Store fragile expensive items in closed cabinets with strong latches, and use plastic putty to secure them to shelves.
- Repair any cracks in the ceiling or foundation as soon as you notice them, as earthquakes can cause these to rapidly worsen.
- Make sure your water heater is strapped firmly to the wall.
Buying the right home insurance policy is a powerful step in helping to protect the people and things you love. However, it’s important to know exactly which perils are and aren’t covered. Work with a licensed agent to learn more about the exclusions in your policy so you can take steps to prepare for any problem that comes your way. You have a substantial investment in your home. Scurich Insurance Services will be happy to help you to cover your assets! Contact them today.