A season long influenza outbreak has swept through California and across the nation, hospitalizing hundreds and leaving thousands of people infected. We at Scurich Insurance Services would like to offer tips and tricks to help you stay healthy, the remainder of the flu season. The following information is taken from Flu.gov.
“Vaccination is the best way to protect yourself from the flu. There are additional steps you can take to keep yourself and your family healthy this flu season.
- Everyone 6 months of age and older should get vaccinated against the flu.
- Take everyday precautions, like washing your hands, to protect your health.
- If you are exposed to or caring for someone with the flu, talk to your doctor about preventive antiviral medications.
Everyone 6 months of age or older should get the flu vaccine as soon as it is available in your area.
What everyday steps can I take to stop the spread of germs?
There are steps you can take in your daily life to help protect you from getting the flu.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Practice good health habits. Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy food.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine.
Are there medications I can take to prevent getting the flu?
If you are healthy but exposed to a person with the flu, antiviral drugs can prevent you from getting sick. The sooner you are treated with an antiviral, the more likely it will prevent the flu. Antiviral drugs are 70% to 90% effective at preventing the flu. Talk to your health care provider if you think you need antiviral drugs.”
Read more HERE!
So don’t forget to get vaccinated, if you haven’t yet taken advantage of the flu vaccine there is still time. Flu shots can be obtained through your doctor’s office, health clinics and most drugstores. If you would like more information about our current Health Insurance programs, or to obtain a new insurance policy, simply contact the health insurance professionals at Scurich Insurance Services located in Watsonville, California today at 800-320-3666!